Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Searching For My Runners High, Hell I Will Even Take a Buzz



Runners High : feeling of euphoria that is experienced by some individuals engaged in strenuous running and that is held to be associated with a release of endorphins by the brain.


Since I started running, I've been hoping to experience my runners high. I have had great runs where I've felt like I was really in the zone, experiencing a jolt of energy, but nothing as momentous as a runners high. In recent years, there has been a lot of research regarding runners highs and if they truly exist. Some runners swear that there is indeed a runners high, and that they are addicted to the feeling they get when those endorphins are released. Others claim that they have experienced it perhaps only once, but it did occur. Scientifically, there is no evidence that it really exists proving that the runners high is legitimate. Even so, I still believe. Like all good things I believe in (unicorns, Tupac and leprechauns) its out there, I just need to find it. If you have experienced it, leave me a comment. I would love to hear about it. 


Below is a link from an interesting New York Times article discussing the scientific elements of the runners high.


Runners High Article New York TImes

No comments:

Post a Comment