Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Be A Smart Camel: 101 Training Tips for Beginning Runners





Today I didn't run, but I thought about it. ( That counts for something right?) While I am not running, I like to read up on it so I feel confident with my knowledge of the sport. Today, I came across a great web post from 

Runners World called 101 Greatest Running Tips for Women. I read all 101 and wanted to share my favorites with you, in case you don't have the time or desire to read them all. If you are new to running, they are worth your while :)

Jackie's Top 5 Tips from Runners World

1. Do what you must do
"If one can stick to training throughout many long years, then willpower is no longer a problem. It's raining? That doesn't matter. I'm tired? That's beside the point. It's simply that I have to." --Emil Zatopek 

2. Go minimalist  
"Marathon training doesn't have to be a grind. By running for about 30 minutes two times a week, and by gradually increasing the length of a third weekly run--the long run--anyone can finish a marathon." --Jeff Galloway

3. Make the switch
"The difference between a jogger and a runner is a race-entry blank." --Dr. George Sheehan

4.  Be a smart camel
"Before you do your long run, place containers of sports drink out on your course, even if you have to bury them." --Runner's World editors

5, Work on your growl
The long run puts the tiger in the cat." --Bill Squires, marathon coach

3 comments:

  1. I love #4. That's a really good idea! Burying them might me a must in the summer too, with the scorching heat (not looking forward to that).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's work on our growls in school tomorrow! Then maybe they will think us crazy and send us home!! WINNN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hans, I will literally be shoveling out holes for the water bottles all summer. Or maybe I will share some of my fanny pack stock pile with you and Amanda.

    Becky, I am on it. If we get sent home, it will be a success. WINNING.

    ReplyDelete