Saturday, January 26, 2013

Whole30 Viva la Coconut Oil

When I started Whole30 one thing was abundantly clear. These people are big on Coconut. Coconut flour, coconut milk, coconut amino's, and the ever magical, coconut oil. Apparently, anything with coconut is wonderful. If you know me, you know that I hate coconut. But, on a recent trip to Wegman's  I indulged and spent $7.00 on some coconut oil. I wanted to see what the buzz was all about. Plus it would be a cold day in hell if you saw me eating a coconut or drinking coconut milk. So, in my mind the oil would be the lesser of two evils. When I cook, I generally use olive oil which is Whole30 compliant, but I also use my coconut oil as well. I have to say it coats nicely and when heated it melts quickly. It almost looks like soap. It comes in a glass jar, and aside from the label you cant tell its coconut. I did some research, and I found out that coconut oil is, in fact, really versatile. 





Here is a list of some pretty interesting uses for coconut oil outside of the kitchen!

* use a non toxic moisturizer. Just slather it on!
* Mix with baking soda for a homemade " goo- gone"
*Use as a natural make up remover -  I found a recipe to use with coconut oil. I will be making a batch this weekend. Keep you posted on this one.
*Eat a spoonful a day to aid in increasing digestion, improving your thyroid, speeding up metabolism, boosting your immune system and even cures migraines! ( Sara you should try this the next time you have a migraine)
*Apply on skin to soothe bug bites and bee stings
*Mix with tea to treat ring worm and athletes foot
*Use it with vinegar to clean your shower- who knew?
*Massage into your hair and use as a deep conditioner! - I am going to try this use today.

So there you have it! Many uses for coconut oil both inside and outside of the kitchen. Who knew?!? There are more uses you can find online that range from sensible to insane. If you want to experience the magic of coconut for yourself, you can find coconut oil at Wegmans, and other specialty food stores in the organic/ health section. It's a little pricey but for all its uses, it worth the money. I haven't been able to find it at Walmart, or Giant. If you find it, please let me know! Enjoy your coconut! xo Jacula

1 comment:

  1. I learned that it's also better to cook with than olive oil is. Apparently when you heat olive oil, it oxidizes and creates free radicals- not good! Coconut oil is stable and works fine with heat, avoiding the free radicals. Apparently you should really only use olive oil for salad dressing, or to top food after cooking. Who knew!

    Wal-Mart has it, but it's not organic and cold pressed- not as good for you. Giant has it in the organic section. I get it there because it's cheaper than Wegman's.

    ReplyDelete