Tuesday, July 19, 2011

I've got 99 problems, but 5 miles aint one

This morning I woke up knowing full well I had to run 5 miles. Now, when it comes to sleep its easy to hit snooze when its Summer and you aren't in the mood to workout. After hitting snooze, three times (yes, it was three) I got up and fell into my running gear. It was about 6:30am and if you run, you know that you cant start much later then that or you will be scorching in the sun towards the end of your run. When I hit the streets, I knew that It wasn't going to be pretty. I haven't run since Saturday at midnight, and my muscles were still screaming. Its been a while since I did a 5 miler around home. I decided to go a new route and it seemed like I had gone further then I actually had. I was outraged when I checked my Nike + and it said I had only gone 2 miles!!! I kept going and eventually made it to my favorite part, the down hill on Fairgrounds road. I passed a man at the bottom who motioned for me to take off my headphones. Not to be rude, I slowed down. He asked me what I did to my knee pointing to my offensive brace in horror. Now, to be clear, it was early, he could have been a killer or a creepster trying to lure me into a van with candy ( which at that point I would have taken and accepted the ride). But chances are I was just creeping myself out and he was a nice walker out for a morning stroll. I answered him with my lame knee ailment and he seemed confused. I didn't want to prolong the creepy interaction and at that very moment I remembered Katherine Switzer. When running coordinators were chasing her for running in a marathon for men only, she just ran like hell and ended up outrunning the people trying to stop her. So, I did the same. I smiled and then I ran as fast as I could. It was a close one. Thank goodness he didn't have candy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment