Saturday, February 18, 2012

Rome wasnt built in a day, and neither was a killer ass





I woke up this morning, and felt like garbage. I guess that's why its 12:30 and I am still in bed. I thought since I am just laying around, I would fill my time with Pinterest. So, for the past hour I was looking up fitness pins and stalking the boards of friends to occupy my time. Then, I got to thinking... Why don't I look like these women? The truth is, I know why. You can call it what you want, but genetics is a part of our body make up. It sets a disposition of your body and bones and can help make or break you. Since Ive been big on goal setting lately, I thought I would share my newest goal with you and how I plan to make it there. I want to be skinny by summer, I want to wear my new James Bond Bikini ( white with gold trim) and rock the shit out of it. Now, in Ocean City New Jersey, I don't expect too much competition, but you know what I mean. I want to feel good. I go to the gym regularly, I work hard while I am there so why cant I parade around in it now while watching Captain Ron and drinking margaritas in my apartment? Because, these things like all good things take time. We put a lot of pressure on ourselves to look thin and be skinny but every now and then, its best to come back to reality. Here's what I've learned over the years. 


1. Everyone is different. 
When I eat an entire box of girl scout cookies I can actually hear myself getting fatter. My skinny friends are able to do the same, and not gain a pound. Fair? No way, but everyone is different and you need to come to terms with that.


2. Depriving yourself of food or things you love makes you miserable.
I love food. I don't think I would be satisfied if i couldn't have an occasional ice cream or drink a coke a cola classic from time to time. Diets don't work if you aren't eating things that you love. You can have a cookie, its OK. Just don't eat 10. I read once that your body is like a bank account. You don't want to withdrawal too many calories at once, but a certain amount each day. If you are living off of apples and popcorn, you will be miserable and most likely not have enough energy to workout. You might even try to murder someone for a burger. Not good. If you know you are going out to dinner, plan ahead or do a little extra at the gym to compensate. I read once that if you eat poorly, its best to try to burn an extra 500 calories the next day. Seems reasonable enough. 


3. Workout but don't become obsessed
Ive had my fair share of skinny days over the years and when I was the skinniest is was because I wasn't eating, and I was going to the gym for hours on end trying to make moves. The gym works, but you need to give yourself a break. Going 7 days a week is unrealistic and you cant expect your body to be at max performance if you aren't giving it time to recuperate. I went to spin 3 times this week and I thought my legs were going to fall off. I knew it was time to take a break. Listen to your body. Its speaking. Its easy to get obsessed but you need to keep your head on straight and listen to your body. Otherwise, you will burn out and the gym will start to become a chore.


4. All good things come in time
Nobody who ever gave 100% regretted it. You aren't on the Biggest Loser. You cant work out 12 hours a day and lose 15 pounds a week. Do what you can each day and hopefully you will lose about 2-3 pounds a week. That's normal. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither was a killer ass. It takes about 6 weeks to start to see muscle definition from working out. Good things come in due time.


5. Eat Clean
Its no secret the healthier you eat the better you feel. I think its easiest to write down what you eat so you can stay accountable. Some people like to write down how they felt as well. This can also help you see patterns in your eating choices and maybe pin point why you are or aren't losing weight. Abs aren't made in the gym they are made in the kitchen. 70% is diet 30% is exercise. Some of my close work friends swear by weight watchers but for me, I just like to monitor my intake because I don't like to count. Whatever works for you, is what you should do.







No comments:

Post a Comment