Saturday, February 11, 2012

Gym Do's and Dont's





Over the past 10 years or so, I've had more then my fair share of gyms. Some closed, I moved and I had to relocate my place of fitness. During my time, I've seen a few things that bother me, and a few more I hope to never see again. So, I got to thinking, and I decided to compile a list of gym do's and dont's. Here it is. 


DO wear gym appropriate attire. This includes shorts, tanks, sneakers, or sweatsuits. 
DONT wear jeans, a corset, work boots or spandex if you are a man. 


I've seen more fake boobs then I would like to, and feared they would take out an eye if they escaped the tight sports bra they were shoved in.


DO use your ipod, phone, or magazine during cardio workouts.
DONT talk loudly on your phone so everyone around you hears your conversation.


Nobody should know the details of your life, or be subject to listening. CALL THEM BACK.


DO Weigh yourself on a regular basis to ensure weight loss is actually occurring.
DON'T weigh yourself between each exercise you do. You look like an idiot. Unless you are a 30 year old wrestler, there is no excuse for that.


No words for this one. In 5 minutes following your squats, I am pretty sure you will be the same weight you were prior to this attempt to get fit. RELAX. 


DO work in with other people while using weight lifting machines
DON'T sit on benches while the gym is busy or hold conversations while people are waiting.


Its kind to work in with others, its rude to monopolize machines and talk to people excessively while others are waiting.


DO eat a pre work out snack
DON'T eat while working out, its gross.


I am guilty of this, but realize how rude and gross it was. I ate an apple while doing the elliptical and got stares from many people. I realize it was gross and mildly rude, but multitasking is a win, and at the time it seemed like the right thing to do. I was hungry. I wont apologize for that.


DO try to remain modest in the locker room
DON'T parade around naked


Not everyone is comfortable with full frontal nudity or lady parts out without warning. I am one of them. One minute you are lacing up your shoes and then bam! you turn around and a full moon is arising! be careful in there! 



1 comment:

  1. I thought male locker rooms were the only place where the full frontal nude parade was a regular thing...good to know!

    also, DON'T sit on benches while the gym is busy or hold conversations while people are waiting." I couldn't have said it better. I am all for multitasking/multiple machine using, IF NO ONE ELSE IS WAITING. However, when it's crowded just stick to the one machine.

    ReplyDelete