Thursday, October 20, 2011

76 Days 7 hours 45 minutes and 46 seconds



As I write this, there are 76 days, 7 hours, 45 minutes and 46 seconds and counting until the Walt Disney Marathon is here! I cant imagine how emotional it will be, to be there running with so many others. Last weekend, I was emotional at the start of the race, looking at the 3,000 other people eagerly awaiting the gun to go off. Disney will be even more of an emotional hurdle, not to mention a physical one. I got choked up along the route seeing those who were running for loved ones they lost, as well as those who were running with handicaps such as one leg. It reminded me of course, of my father, who I hoped was proud with each step I took. I couldn't help but think of those children I work with during the summer, who will never get the chance to run because of physical  limitations. While I ran, I thought of these things  and in a sense ran for them. The way you feel when you run, the strength and determination is indescribable. During the race, I remained as positive as possible, keeping my spirits high pushing myself forward. I thought of my Uncle Phil's ( a marathon finisher) positive words and faith in me, I talked to my dad and I prayed to God for strength when I felt my knees start to weaken and my bones get weary. I thought of friends along the course when passing specific landmarks and all the while really tried to take in the experience of the race. I know my past few posts have referenced the half marathon and I am sure some of you wish I would just pick a new topic already, but there is just so much emotion and pride involved in a race of that nature that each day when I think about it, I have more things to share. That being said, the finest part of the race was seeing my cousin run past me during the last leg. I had looked for her along the course to no avail. When I saw her, I was instantly overcome with happiness. For one, it gets lonely out there running and for another I was so overcome with pride for her. There she was, running her ass off down the boardwalk. She was going to run 13 miles and I was so proud. So proud. Its funny, while you run, its easy to be in awe of the others around you overcoming obstacles and moving forward. Its easy to forget about yourself. You forget that you too are running the same distance, feeling the same pride and pain. I know that when I run Disney, seeing my mom, brother and aunt Shelly along the race course is going to be enough to make me cry as well as keep going. I hope that I can steal a glance at my cousin and Hans too, because its so incredible watching them succeed at something none of us ever thought we would or could do. I cannot wait to experience the thrill of racing again and the immense sense of accomplishment that comes with finishing. Above all, I cant wait to cross the finish, and see everyone who was cheering me on and believing in me every step of the way. Tonight, I bought my ticket to Florida. Its getting real, coming fast and going to be the experience of a lifetime! 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, it seems like just the other day there were 6 months until Disney. I can't believe how close it's getting! I can't wait to do this with you and I know your dad is very proud of you<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! I am just starting out with running and it seems like other runners can be so supportive. Today I signed up for a 10K in February to keep myself motivated and working towards a goal. Hopefully sometime in my future is a half and maybe even a marathon, who knows!

    ReplyDelete