Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Reckless.Runner.Does.26.2


Here we are. I've been dreaming about this post since I started running and I cant believe its here. I have so much to talk about and so much to share so I figured the best way would be to blog, then share some pictures, then blog some more. Hopefully, I can keep you entertained and I will do my best to try to not ramble on. Please beware some pictures are less then cute and may make you want to yak. 


When we arrived in Disney, we got to go to the expo to pick up our bib numbers and race swag. We spent most of the morning there, getting ready and meeting other runners. My cousin and I got to meet Jeff Galloway. If you don't know who he is, then you my friend, need to google him! He's nothing short of a running icon and it was amazing to meet him in the flesh. Also, if you are looking into running he has a zillion books and training programs for all levels. 

Amanda and I meeting Jeff! 

Tyler and I at the expo

half sneaker half glass slipper
On Sunday morning, we had to wake up at 3am to eat breakfast and catch the shuttle. Hans and I met Becky and Amanda in the hotel lobby and we quickly ate and boarded the bus. The energy was high and there were about 3 buses parked one after another continuously running from the hotels to Epcot. We sat all the way in the back of a packed bus and started to get nervous while we were en route. When we got there, we all started making our way to the entrance. I remembered then, that I left my knee brace on the bus. I ran back to get it and thank God the bus, and driver were still there. Otherwise, mama would have been hurting out there! We were quickly pushed along like cattle into Epcot or somewhere around Epcot with 20,000 other people in the dark. We stayed close together though the crowds were intense. There were a million  Port o potties lined up and we waited in line with thousands of others to use them. Then we all walked about 20 minutes to the starting corrals which was a long and annoying experience. Along the way, people began peeing in the bushes and trees. * not just men, but women too. Although there were tons of bathrooms, there were also long lines and when you gotta go, you gotta go. When we reached the corrals we said good bye to my cousin and I pushed back into a corral with Becky and Hans who happened to be together. I didn't want to start out alone, so I went with them. Looking back, it might have been nice to start earlier, but I really wanted to stick with them. So there we were all smushed in with hundreds of people. There were huge Tv's showing the stage with Mickey and Minnie while we stretched we watched them gearing up to start the first wave. There were fire works for each heat, and it was a long time before it was our turn. When it was finally heat 8 we were able to see the first wave running by, already on mile 5. At big races they stagger the runners and mix in fast and slow together so that there are less jam ups along the course. Anyway, the fireworks went off and so did we. Pushing along and moving slowly at first since there were so many people. We weaved through the dark and our first stop was Epcot. In the dark I saw what appeared to be my family, and then I heard screaming and I saw a mad man with a cow bell and knew it was them. They were elated to see us and I was just as happy to see them. My mom and aunt had made big signs for us and Tyler, well he had the worlds best cow bell and sprinted along side of us for a while screaming and scaring everyone running around us. 
Hans at the start
Amanda me and Becky getting ready to run 
My lucky race shirt with my dad pinned on for  the ride.
We ran through Epcot and there was the first of many a medical station. It was here I decided I needed some Vaseline for my leg so it didn't get a rash from my knee brace. If you've never run a big race, they have tables set up with huge vats of Vaseline and Bio freeze. I thought I heard Vaseline shouted out and told the lovely volunteer to pump some for me. So I kept running and wiped the huge blob all over my body. About 10 seconds later, I realized that it was in fact bio freeze, not Vaseline and it was burning my flesh off. Luckily, it wore off but it was touch and go there for the first 5 miles. After Epcot, we ran on the highway and our next stop was magic kingdom. It was a long way in, but there were characters along the way and even some hot men. There was a sports car attraction on the right side of the road with good looking men. Shouting at them, helped pass the time. Further along there were fancy old cars and a DJ blaring oldies music. We finally made it to the Magic Kingdom and ran through huge crowds lined up on both sides of the sidewalk cheering for us. We caught a glimpse of the castle, and then turned into tomorrow land. I got to see Cinderella and I yelled at Prince Charming and told him he had a nice ass. * For the record, he didn't like that* We then ran through the back of the castle, the Smith/Piccirilli Cheer Team was there waiting for us! We continued on to a horrible stretch of highway and saw Jen and her husband at the 13.1 mark. It was great hearing Jen yell at me to run faster. We continued on the highway and back roads. There was quite a few characters out to break up the monotony including all of the evil villains and Pirates of the Caribbean characters. Things got blurry out there and it started to get hot. While downing power ade and water we entered Animal Kingdom. We quickly ran through and then headed again to the highway. This is when things got miserable. Around mile 18 it was hot, my feet started to hurt and I was starving. I shoved a cliff bar into my mouth and we continued on. Becky and I tried to keep the convo going but it was clear we were running low on energy. We stopped about 900 times to use the bathroom and finally passed a real entertaining set up. About 5 grave diggers that were there for pictures. I really wanted to stop, but the picture opportunity involved laying down and I knew if I did that I wouldnt be able to get up again. 
This is just one guy. The entire scene was bad ass. Oh well, continuing on we reached Hollywood studios and they handed us fruit snacks. We ran past Sully and Mike from Monsters Inc and through the back lot studio. One great thing about the Disney marathon is that its very beginner friendly. With characters lined up along the route you can jump off take pictures and then continue on your way making the experience all the more enjoyable. After that we ran through the harbor resort and FINALLY back into Epcot where the finish line was. People were lined up screaming that our metals were just ahead. Ahead my ass, try 3 more miles. It was around Germany that I saw my favorite princess, Snow White. Marathoners didnt have to wait in line with park goers to take pics, so I said what the hell and jumped in. She wanted nothing to do with me since I smelled terrible but I didnt care, it was the only character I took a picture with and it was at mile 25. As you can see from the picture, she wouldn't get too close. Smart lady.


We weaved around the countries in Epcot sweating heavily now since it was so hot out. We made it to mile 26 and there was a gospel choir singing dressed in their robes clapping and singing. Nice touch if you ask me. We then rounded the corner for the last .2 miles and I saw my cousin, and family screaming. Becky and I ran to the finish together and got our bad ass metals. It was soon after , that my legs started to give out and I was too sore to move.  My family and I reunited and took some pictures. Check them out!

VICTORIOUS~ 
Hans and I 

WINNING


We did it. 

My cousin and I after the race 

Tylers shot of the runners from the monorail
One of many blisters I aquired along the route.
Runners rash from my horrid knee brace
Cow Bell Marathon shirt and finishers metal 
 When I run, I cant help but be thankful. I am always surprised by those around me and the energy on race day. All the people on the course are so supportive and willing to cheer on and help one another. The volunteers on the course were amazing. There are always people of all different races and sizes out there with a similar goal of making it to the finish line and this weekend, I was blessed to run with some amazing people. I couldn't be more proud of Hans, Amanda and Becky for this accomplishment. Overall, the race was great and I am glad that we all were able to make this goal a reality. If I can give any advice from this journey, its to believe in yourself and make the goal happen. I never thought I could go 26.2 miles, but there I was doing it. There were so many people running for organizations and loved ones lost making for a very emotional run. I guess I can compare running that far to going into battle. Its you against yourself, doing whatever it takes to keep moving forward and making it to the finish. Its a tough game to play, but once you're in it, there is only one option. Keep going, keep moving and make it happen. I ran this race in memory of my father, who died much too young. Although he wasnt there to cheer me on, he was with me in spirit and was the main reason there was no option but to complete this race and cross the finish line. When I started this, I thought one and done would be the end result. But I find myself craving more. Each year, on fathers day, my family and I participate in the Gary Papa Run for Your Life. I would love it if one day, we were all running 26.2 together in memory of the greatest man we knew. Until then, I will continue to run, because its fun. I hope that one day, I complete another marathon but for now I am going to focus on speed work and conquering shorter distances. Thanks for following me along my journey. This was just the first of what I hope to be many running accomplishments. Thank you for all the love - The Reckless Runner





The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep.





Hans and I with our metals 














3 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you! You are absolutely amazing! Your strength and perseverance is motivation for us all! Good luck achieving the rest of your goals and keep being the amazing person you are! By the way you had me in tears!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Jackie! You definitely motivated me to begin running and to continue running. Congratulations on making it the 26.2 miles it is an amazing accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We. Did. It. :) So proud of you Jackie

    ReplyDelete