Sunday, January 15, 2012

mama needs a new pair of shoes





This morning, I woke up groggy and not quite sure how I actually slept until 10:30. Shortly after that, I realized that it was exactly one week ago, that I was running a marathon in Disney World. I smiled and then determined that Sundays were my big deal days of 2012. Quite a revelation. In my mind  I hoped that all my Sundays from here on out would be just as fulfilling and amazing. Now that all the pictures have been sorted and the shin splits and knee pain have dulled, I am left with a hazy plan for my reckless running future. Now, let me tell you what I do see clearly. I know I am going to continue to run but the races and places are yet to be determined. Since its still January, I feel like I have a great opportunity to make some resolutions and kick start them into action. Here's what I had in mind....


1. Start eating well and exercising 
Cliche, of course but allow me to explain. I've always thought that if I weighed a little less, I would be a more efficient runner. I remember around this time last year. I was in very good shape, working out regularly and with a trainer just starting to get into running. I would love to get back to that place. So I am heading there...


2. Believe in myself and the strength of my body
During my training, I was hard on myself and I wavered on mentally unstable at times. Instead of making my goal to finish races, I need to work more on speed training and endurance training. I want to start making more times related goals and set a really nice PR that I can use as a base for my goals. Its easy to just take the easy road, but I am capable or more then I sometimes give, so I want to draw that out. 


3. Plan at least one big race a year.
The excitement of the AC half marathon and Disney were amazing experiences that helped shape my running and commitment to making and keeping goals. I would like to keep that feeling for a long time and hopefully include my brother and mom. Its amazing to race, and I want to share that feeling with anyone and everyone who is willing.


I've decided that I am going to start regularly strength training and cardio this week and begin running again by the end of January. I would like to give my body a little more time to heal, and begin again when the blisters are gone and my knees no longer creak. Hopefully everything will fall into place. In the mean time, mama needs a new pair of shoes :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment