Saturday, November 19, 2011

Whose your hero?




Does a hero know he’s a hero if no one tells him? Do you know a hero no one else knows? A hero doesn’t have to save a busload of school kids from certain disaster. Or score the winning point in the big game. A hero can be anyone who inspires you, anyone you look up to, anyone who cheers you on, makes you better than you were before – just as they made themselves better than they were before. Do you know a hero? Tell him. Then tell everyone. – Nike 


When I am running, I often go through a lot of emotions. Sometimes, I feel so strong when I catch a glimpse of my shadow going strong weaving through the streets. Other times, I am over whelmed with emotion and have to stop to cry because I feel like I am not tough enough or good enough to keep going. Most of the time however, I feel good and its a sense of therapy I feel blessed to be able to take part in. I feel lucky to have legs that can carry my body however far I choose, I feel strength in moving myself forward and working toward a long term goal. Lately, running has become more of a pressure and a daunting task. It has turned into something that I stress about, hoping that I have what it takes to make it. My good friend Jen, always says, don't worry about the finish you will always finish. Its true, at some point you will finish. It seems as though the journey to the finish is what its all about. Through this experience I've learned a lot about my self, I 've seen strength I didn't know I had. I've been lucky enough to watch my friends win races, bask in the joy of running, and laugh at races along my side. I've seen Hans excel in something that I am sure he never knew he would be so great at.  He makes it seem so easy that its hard not to be proud of him and just want him to win every race.Watching him, gives me strength. My beautiful cousin, who has been by my side this whole way willing to take time off work to run Disney with me, makes me so happy. Helping each other on days when we would rather be sleeping in or wanting to have ran farther then we did but just couldnt that day.  I feel blessed for all of those people who support me and have faith that I sometimes lose while I am out there. Above all, running reminds me of the real reason this whole dream started. My father, my hero. Talking to my Uncle Phil years ago, he told me about running a marathon for a friend of his that had passed away. After that conversation, I knew, that ONE DAY I was going to do the same and dedicate a marathon to my hero. Marathons test your, sanity, your love your inner strength and prowess. So naturally lazy and afraid, I put my marathon pipe dream on the back burner and  years passed like they often do, with no marathon. Life got in the way, excuses got in the way. This year was going to be different. I didn't need a come back tour to do this, I just needed to get off of ass and get over my fears. It started with a 5K, then an 8 miler, onto a half marathon. Never in my life will I have to dig deeper for something to come to light. As I count down the days to Disney,I am reignited with a sense of vigor and prowess. I am running myself, with my own legs but all the hard work, dedication and the finish are dedicated my hero, to the greatest man I've ever known, my dad. This one is for you. All the victories, tears, chafing and smiles, the medals, the research, and the water bottle fanny pack, all for you. I might not see you at the finish, but I know you will be watching and right by my side the entire time. I am excited to make this dream a reality. My dad is my hero, and I want everyone to know it. 




Watch out, Smith's back and she's going to be kicking some major ass and tearing up the streets the next 2 months. 

3 comments:

  1. ❤ this post sissy. Your dad is looking down so proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dad is watching and running alongside you. He's very proud. I know he is. Love you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will be making your dad so proud �� I'm so proud of what you've accomplished in the last year and will be even more proud once you finish the marathon! I'll be there with you when that happens too ��

    ReplyDelete