Saturday, November 12, 2011

This morning, I woke up and ate an apple.





Action and reaction, ebb and flow, trial and error, change - this is the rhythm of living. Out of our over-confidence, fear; out of our fear, clearer vision, fresh hope. And out of hope, progress.
Bruce Barton


This morning, I woke up and ate an apple. Not very exciting stuff. Most days in life, aren't in fact, that exciting. Running like life, has its exciting moments but they often come at unexpected times in your training and during races when you are in survival mode. Personally, I've noticed that to be happy you need to follow through with the things that you want to do. By setting goals and achieving them, you make your own exciting stuff. There is no greater accomplishment then finishing something you set out to do. often times, its easy to shy away from going for goals out of fear, fear of change, fear of failure. Lately, I've been trying to stay busy by making goals no matter how small and focusing on things that Ive always wanted to do. I know what you are thinking, this girl is crazy and you cant just make a million goals and fulfill them all. Long term goals ie. running a marathon are one thing, but little day to day goals help you move through those parts of life that are not so exciting. Staying with the theme of following through and checking off things on my to do list, I decided today I would check off a more simple task on my list. Since Ive moved to my new apartment, Ive been wanting to run around Emmaus and just see the town more or less. When I drive home from work sometimes, I calculate milage and then plan to run it at some point during the week. Time usually gets in the way, or someone offers me a burrito and I forget about my goal. Today, I could have easily stayed in bed, ate my apple, watched action news and called it a morning but I refused to waste a  good oppurtunity to check off a goal. This morning, ( after my apple) I went out in my new cold weather swag and hit the streets. It was almost comical due to the amount of crap I did to prepare for the 37 degree morning air. I had my ear warmers, my compression pants, my long sleeve nike fleece and of course my baller sunglasses. I saw a few other runners, in shorts mind you and I felt mildly over dressed. It didnt matter though, because it was cold and I was warm. I got to see a lot of the neighborhoods that I hadnt had a chance too run through yet, and aside from a collie that tried to attack me, it was a good run. At one point I almost stopped to take a picture of the mountain view before me and the changing leaves. When I got back I felt accomplished for completing something I had on my things to do list. Tomorrow, I am going to check off another task. Not sure yet what it will be, but thats half the fun.  Maybe I will start with a banana for breakfast, and go from there :) 

2 comments:

  1. I was feeling a little down and out today but reading your blog post made me feel a little better. To know that you are my friend is an amazing feeling. I am so proud of all your accomplishments. You are definitly an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reminding me why I run. You inspire me to keep going. Be bold!

    ReplyDelete