Monday, May 14, 2012

Now Processing





 VS. 




Recently, I have been researching non processed and raw food diets. Not so much for the weight loss aspect, but more for the sake of putting good things into my body. I am no stranger to Ramen or the occasional fast food joint, but if the adage is true, and you are indeed what you eat, I guess I am a big bowl of ice cream. Lately, I've been thinking about meat and sugar in particular. There once was a time, that I didn't eat meat for 30 days. I eventually caved at a backyard BBQ when my uncle Dave made my veggie burger and it looked like a charred hockey puck. Less than appealing. A burger made of vegetables just seems wrong. On the other hand, things I read about meat and the process of how it comes to be at my kitchen table scare me. Food Inc. in particular,was one of the most appalling documentaries I have seen. The conditions that animals are kept in and the steroids and antibiotics that they are pumped with, make me sick. Currently, I don't really eat meat aside from the occasional burger or taco but I am not so sure on where I stand with meat presently. Part of me says yes, part of me says no. On to sugar. We all know that sugar is bad. It rots your teeth, it makes you fat and it also makes you hungry. Refined sugars in particular are evil. When you eat foods with sugar, it is stored in the liver as glycogen. Unfortunately, when your liver gets full the excess gets returned to your blood stream as fatty acids. I think we all know where they end up- your butt hips and thighs! Sugar can be sneaky, so you have to be careful as to where its lurking in your kitchen. Most foods have sugar that you would never dream of. Sugar is like crack, the more you have the more addicted you become. Don't take my word for it, read the labels on your favorite foods- you might be shocked at the sugar thats lurking!  This leads me into my research on non processed foods. This week I am trying to cut back drastically on processed foods, albeit difficult. I had cereal this morning, which is obviously processed and a taco for dinner with a nice crispy processed shell. Its a difficult demon to exercise from your diet, but with a little practice I hope to get there. I am hoping to see a vast difference in energy and mood after the switch. I am looking to start a 10 day non- processed food trial sometime in the near future- baby steps. 


Additional resources
New York Times Article: Is sugar toxic?

Live Strong- Non processed food diet

The Opinionator Blog: Meat is bad for you ( and good)

No comments:

Post a Comment